Thursday, June 09, 2005

More of the same and getting lost ;)

Yesterday guess where I went? Ya, you got it right: yet another job recruitment process. This time it was only IQ tests but this time it had a twist and I’m not talking of the sets of drawings in which you have to guess the picture that is missing ;)

The twist was that it was in Vila do Conde, Oporto and guess you got lost on the way! Me, of course, but until you drive in Porto without having any knowledge of the city nor having a map recorded in your brain you would easily do the same has I did. My father’s GPS didn’t work until I got to Porto, and that was only when I got to Porto for the second time, as Porto has no road signs pointing to Vila do Conde so I was looking for roads I remember seeing in Auto Route the previous day. As IC1 is a road that nearly crosses the whole country, it was not a good guiding point and on top of all I couldn’t find a sign pointing to the airport, so I ended up going to IC2 to get to IC1 (which I didn’t find) and suddenly I’m starting to see signs for A29 – Espinho (if you see the Portuguese map, you can see that first you have Espinho, then Porto and then Vila do Conde, so I was going backwards).

Of course, by this time I was panicking as I had lost already 40 minutes trying to make the GPS work during the way and I only had 20 minutes to get to Vila do Conde at time, I really wanted to phone a certain person, but I ended up getting calm and phoning my Daddy as he had Auto Route in his computer and he is an Ace in traffic orientation. With my father’s directions I got back to the motorway in direction to Porto (not without getting again into the motorway in direction to Espinho, not my fault, as write after the roundabout you had a curve and straight away 2 signs on a fork one pointing to Porto and the other to Espinho, so I had a 5o% chance of getting it right, but I didn’t and there was too much traffic even if I wanted to violate law – Portuguese know what I mean ;)

As soon as I get to Porto, for the second time, the GPS finally decides that I’m no longer at Rio Maior but at Porto and starts giving me directions to Vila do Conde. So never mind what my Daddy told me and just follow the lady’s directions ;)

Well the tests were hard and I didn’t manage to end them in such a short period of time (except the verbal one, which I always find rather easy), so I wasted a gas tank and money at the motorways’ entrances (there are hardly any ones free of charge in our country), but I visited my grandparents so it wasn’t a completely waste of time and money ;)

P.S. – I really must put some songs up and some photos, as this blog must be getting very boring for you, only job interviews and misadventures ;)

P.P.S. – But that will have to wait as I’m helping out my father to do a Access database for Treasury Management (that is my father has done the most and corrected some of the stuff I’ve been doing, as mainly I’ve been coping what he already has done to complete the database).

No comments: