Sunday, August 28, 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - 5 STARS



As much as I love to go to the movies, the truth is that I don’t really go too regularly. Rio Maior doesn’t have a movie theater and the closest ones have only very mainstream movies, most that are not worth the cost of gas and of the ticket. Then company isn’t something I’ve very often, I suppose it’s one of the few disadvantages of not having a boyfriend.

In Lisbon I face once again the problem of not having any company to go, but as soon as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory started showing in our movie theaters in Lisbon I went straight away to see the movie, all by myself (something I really loath). But after all it’s the 4th partnership between Tim Burton (one of my favorite directors) and Johnny Depp (my favorite actor ever since I saw Edward Scissorhands and I absolutely loved Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Sleepyhollow (for me one of Tim Burton’s masterpieces) and now Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

You will be astonished visually with all the magnificent sets of the movie; Johnny Depp is amazing, as usual, it’s impossible not to love Will Wonka, despite of the fact that he really doesn’t like people and doesn’t worry about what happens to the misbehaved children, although they deserve their punishments and they are quite hilarious ;) After all if it weren’t for those scenes we wouldn’t have the chance of seeing the little Oompas dancing and singing quite psycadelic songs.

I’ve never had the chance of reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but it’s a most read in my list. From what I’ve read Tim Burton was very faithful to the original book, except that he added some background to Will Wonka so we could better understand the character. You can see that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp’s minds ran wild, they left their imagination guide them, with imagination as the limit. For me it’s a Oscar nominee film, unfortunately I think neither Johnny Depp neither Tim Burton will finally receive it, but then Hollywood never could see true talent and genius…

No comments: