Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What I've been up to this year

For the first time since I’ve got my new mobile phone it’s quite empty, only with the message “No more entries today” which at the same time means no more entries for the whole week… This doesn’t mean I’m on holidays (as usually those are marked as an entry), as I keep on having loads of work and some trouble in organising it all.

So surprise of surprises, I’m actually updating my blog, as at the moment I’m doing a backup of a database on which I need to work, as it’s taking a while here I’m!!!

Although since I’ve started working with my father, I haven’t taken much of any kind of holidays, I’ve been able to take some days to go and watch some concerts or actually enjoy some summer festivals.

I must say that if it hadn’t been Paulo and the Maiorais, my musical life would have been quite poor in terms of concerts for the first 5/6 months of 2007, but as they had the guts and perseverance to keep on organizing concerts of some of the best Portuguese bands that are around I can say I’ve been quite blessed ;)

The first concert, you may have seen in the blog: d3o, will be a story to tell my grandchildren, as well as some other amazing nights in Rio Maior. Even if fate won’t allow Maiorais to keep on dreaming and even if Paulo can’t organize the so dreamt about Musical Festival at our local theatre, the concerts I saw in a little bar will be treasured moments, as to everybody who knows me more a less, knows I would love to have my own club, but a club as the famous ones in London and USA, where we and about less then a thousand lucky ones are able to see bands such as The White Stripes, The Yeah Yeah Yeah’s, Guided By Voice, Beck, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and so on at their beginning, with excellent conditions (which isn’t always what happens at some of few clubs we have in Portugal and unfortunately they are in Lisbon, I still live about one-hour drive from them and the concerts are fatally at eleven or even midnight and a girl must work so)!!!

So the concerts I was lucky enough to watch in my home town we basically my salvation at a quite little town but unfortunately also quite dull in activities for the mind, soul, heart and thrill music gives me…

When I first heard The White Stripes were coming to Portugal I was in heaven (2 hours later in a nightmare as it wasn’t truth), then some weeks later Jesus & The Mary Chain, then LCD Soundsytem and finally Sonic Youth, unfortunately not all on the same day, so I ended up in going to 3 different Summer Festivals plus one (as Manu Chao also came to Portugal)…

The White Stripes concert suffered for being in the middle instead at the front with many idiotic Smashing Pumpkins fans who clearly don’t know how to respect others and the low sound whose soul responsibility was of who ever organized the concert… So sadly I saw the whole concert in Black & White through screens, never actually saw not even what colours Meg or Jack were wearing (although I knew it had to be black and red), while passing most of the concert hearing Spanish spoken quite loud, as well as Portuguese… So if The White Stripes ever return I will this time be at the front row if possible (although I hope somebody will bring them to the Coliseum de Lisboa)…

From the other big expectations I can say I loved Jesus & The Mary Chain (even if their guitars didn’t play as Psychocandy), LCD once again fantastic, Sonic Youth was magical and Manu Chao is Manu Chao: amazing (thought but not with out non concert related pain)…
Now I can’t wait for Patti Smith this autumn! Perhaps, one of these days I actually win the lottery and I will finally watch Bob Dylan and of course do my around the world trip ;)

I really can’t tell much more of what I’ve been up to lately as work as consumed much of my time and energy, but hopefully I will be able to make ends meet still this year and actually do some travelling even if only through Portugal ;)

No comments: